Members of Hawai‘i Community Benefit Consultants hold ourselves to the following values and agreements:
- We nurture a sense of trust, giving one another a “safe place to land” among others engaged in similar work.
- We create physical and virtual safe spaces where members feel comfortable finding trusted colleagues who can serve as sounding boards, professional confidantes, and/or peer mentors.
- We serve as a networking hub—both socially and professionally—that actively cultivates opportunities to tap into the larger community and request/share our relationships and talent when we are able.
- We avoid self-promotion and pitching/marketing of our services or products. We do, however, encourage sharing the skills/experience/expertise each of us brings as we tell our stories in getting to know one another.
- We encourage members to continue conversations that begin in hui spaces outside of them as well, and to use these offline discussions to pursue collaboration and cross-referral, when appropriate.
- We encourage members to share mistakes and challenges, in the spirit of helping one another learn and grow from our own experiences.
- We commit to being ethical, honest, and transparent with our clients and one another.
- We respect the confidence of our clients and our colleagues.
- We do our best to align our work with our skills and expertise, and seek the support of (or refer out to) others if we are not able to best meet our clients’ needs.
- We uphold our community values, making us proud to call one another colleagues and feel confident in making cross-referrals.
- We welcome and respect diverse experiences and perspectives among our members.
- We actively seek ways for neighbor island and mainland members to stay connected and involved in hui activities.
- We recognize that members have varying personal circumstances and commitments, and encourage members to engage to whatever level feels right for them.
- We operate with a spirit of collaboration and generosity, sharing project opportunities, connections, and resources where we think it may benefit others.
- We cultivate our hui’s presence as a one-stop shop for those seeking people resources for projects that benefit community.
- We are open to sharing knowledge and hearing others’ insights, whether we are seasoned consultants or new to our work.
- We are all practitioners. We see the hui as a place for exploration, learning, and experimentation, vs. expertise.